Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Cover Letter to Representative Emmanuel Cleaver II

 The following email was sent to Representative Emmanuel Clever II, my congressman, regarding an the article I wrote for the Sweet Springs Herald to be published on January 27, 2021.   

January 26, 2021

Dear Congressman Cleaver,

Peace be with you in the Name of Jesus, who sits at the right hand of God our Father, and sends the Holy Spirit,

                I along with the members of my family and congregation pray for you. We are thankful for many of the things you have done in our community. We were glad to see you in Concordia several years ago to lay a wreath at The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall. We are thankful that you take the time to listen to the farmers and even sit for coffee at Casey’s in Sweet Springs. We are also thankful that you and the other members of congress are safe after the horrible intrusion on our capitol on January 6.

For the past eight years, I have been the Pastor at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Emma, halfway between Concordia and Sweet Springs. In all my life, I have never written to an elected official. I have never preached against one party or another from the pulpit. However, I am writing to you to share with you what will be published in tomorrow’s edition of the Sweet Springs Herald concerning your prayer to open the 117th Congress on January 3rd. I have attached a copy of the article. Please take it in the spirit of Proverbs 9:8-10

Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight. (ESV)

                Mr. Cleaver, I believe you are a wise man. You’ve accomplished a great deal of good in your career for your congregation for Kansas City and for our nation. Truly God has blessed you with many opportunities to serve. Since these are all blessings from His hand, do not trade the fleeting love of the world for the everlasting love of God. Remember the words of our Lord Jesus:

“So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32-33 ESV)

                I know there are many serious differences between my church, the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod and the United Methodist Church. Despite all of these, I hope that we can agree that there is really only one God who has revealed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ. I hope we can agree that Jesus suffered for the sins of the sins of the whole world and gave His life for us only to rise from the dead to give eternal life to all who trust Him.

                If you would like, I will be glad to make myself available for discussion about this article or other matters of policy for our area.

Peace in Christ,

Pastor Jacob T. Mueller

Holy Cross Lutheran Church

Emma, Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment