Friday, May 29, 2015

The Twelve Days of Chemo

"A joyful heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22

It's going to be a long Summer, and it will certainly be dominated by chemo. I've decided to do something to commemorate each treatment and have a little fun with it. There will be twelve treatments, so I tried to think of groups of twelve. Sure, Jesus had twelve disciples and there were twelve tribes of Israel (all sons of Jacob, if I may remind you). Those would work, but then I had a better idea. Here it is:

On the first day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me

A pair of apple trees 

On Wednesday, May 13, the day after my fist chemo treatment, Dad and my brother Daniel helped me plant this pair of apple trees. You can see them on either side of us. There's also a peach tree in the foreground. Planting these trees was one of the most encouraging things I've done since being diagnosed with cancer. For me it is putting hope in action. I'm not going anywhere. There's a lot of fruit (of all sorts) left to be born in Emma.
 On the second day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me 

Two turtle doves
Aren't they cute? You can make just about anything from candy wrappers. (Second chemo treatment was May 26)
On the third day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me

Three French hens

(They almost certainly surrendered.)
 My third chemo treatment was June 9th.

On the fourth day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me

Four calling birds fans
Yes, Mike, Marilee, Hannah and I are all fans of the birds--the Red Birds that is!
 Chemo number four was on June 23rd

On the fifth day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me

Five golden rings 

That's right, five pairs of rings for today. Julia's parents: Mike and Marilee Wehrenberg (top left), My parents: Tim and Dawn Mueller (top right), My brother and sister-in-law: Paul and Jessie Mueller (bottom right), Julia's brother and sister-in-law: Mitch and Shelby Wehrenberg (bottom left) and Julia and I (center)


Chemo number five was supposed to be on July 7th, but was delayed until July 14th due to my low platelet count.

On the sixth day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me 

Six guys a laying
Laying bricks that is, which you can clearly see in our hands. Here I am with five other members of our South Africa Mission Team. We'll be traveling to South Africa next June to build a house for people affected by HIV/AIDS. We might not know what to do with them now, but we will soon! Team members pictured are (from left to right) Roger Flandermeyer, Joe Blackburn, John Frerking, myself, Katlin Murray, and Tim Mehl.

 Chemo number six was on July 28th

Chemo treatment number seven was delayed due to a low platelet count.

On the seventh day of chemo, my oncologist prescribed for me

Seven Schwans a swimming 

These seven "Ancient Grain Crusted Cod" from Schwans take one final swim.
  Chemo number seven was on August 18th

On the eighth day of chemo my oncologist prescribed for me

Eight maids a milking
Michael Hemme (a dairy farmer at Holy Cross) snapped this picture of a bunch of their cows milking. There has got to be at least seven cows behind this one.

     Chemo number eight was on September 1

On the ninth day of chemo my oncologist prescribed for me

Nine ladies dancing 

Here are nine ladies from St. Paul's Lutheran Elementary, Concordia, MO doing the "Whip and Neigh Neigh"

   Chemo number nine was September 22 (there was a one week delay)

On the tenth day of chemo my oncologist prescribed for me

Ten lords a leaping 

"A Christian is a free lord, subject to none" --Martin Luther
8th graders from St. Paul Concordia, once again


   Chemo number ten was on October 6, had there been no delays, this would have been the day of my last chemo treatment

On the eleventh day of chemo my oncologist prescribed for me

Eleven pipers pipping 

Amazingly, this is the only one that cost me any money. It was $13 to get pipe from the hardware store.

   Chemo number eleven was on October 20

On the twelfth day of chemo my oncologist prescribed for me

Twelve drummers drumming 

More like 12 percussionists, but you get the idea. It was the closest I could get to 12 drums. Thanks again to the St. Paul 8th grade class!
 
  Chemo number twelve, the final one, was on November 10

I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment